On November 18, 2020, Stephanie Sparks Smith sat down with Kristi White of Knowland to review hotel digital marketing and how to pivot for recovery.
Highlights from this episode:
Where Hotels Should Focus their Limited Marketing Dollars:
- Focus on in-market travelers. Don’t waste money on people not interested in travel.
- Determine who is traveling put focus there to get in front of that traveler.
- Drive market is expanding – think more local.
- Leverage cheaper channels like content marketing and social media.
Increase in Call-In Reservations
- Guests don’t trust that the info is current on hotels’ websites.
- People are also eating more at on-site restaurants. Expect a higher capture ratio if your hotel restaurant is open.
- Hotels must do a better job of communicating changes and what is available at the hotel to reduce the chances of a disappointed guest upon arrival.
Best Practices to Ease by into Digital Spending:
- Start by updating all content on websites, OTA, social media, etc.
- Update images to promote the hotel in a better way and display why they should stay there
- Hotels should work with their OTA market managers to get market insights
- Redefine why a guest should stay with your hotel based on current changes brought on by Covid-19
How can Hotels Leverage Social Media Now
- Show and promote cleaning procedures.
- Showcase new technology that will ensure guest safety.
- Share information on changes and happenings within the local community.
- Use it to build community by sharing stories and happenings.
ONE Thing Hotels should NOT be Doing Right Now
Do NOT Wait…in Hotel Marketing
- Don’t wait until business returns to create a marketing plan!
- Create a plan utilizing tiers to implement as segments of business return.
- Review and update foundational processes and procedures so you are ready for the return of business.